Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Time In Your Hands

Time is so precious. And it always presents choices. I believe there truly isn’t enough time to do everything (especially if you want to do everything). So the choices become really important. It’s not that I think lying in bed and staring at the ceiling is a waste of time either. Because sometimes that’s necessary. My main question is: How are you allocating your time?

I find that we are easily distracted by our present. It is essential to occasionally step out of where we are and look at the bigger picture. While focused on the many tasks ahead of us and by completing each one as fast as we can, we may feel like we’re actually doing something fruitful and worthwhile and that may be so, but if you really step out of it.. you may gain better perspective on priorities.

For example, if I’m an animator and I have to convert 2D animation into 3D having to manually work on every single strand of hair on some animal’s body, I might find that at the end of it, I have the satisfaction of feeling good about the fruits of my labour. However, if this animator (with a supposed luxury of time) maybe waited till technology allowed for a faster process or worked on creating that technology himself then that would have been time more wisely spent no?

This may not be the best example. I really don’t know the answers and I’m only just sorting this out in my head but I’m thinking that that is closer to how I should think in terms of how I spend my time anyway. For me, family, friends, career, self and giving back come to mind. Thoughts?

No comments: